Sunday, June 7, 2015

Getting out faint details of galaxies - from my light polluted backyard.

This spring, I tried imaging galaxies again. And with lots of imaging time (30-50 hours), I get a decent image with even some faint details. But when I process these, I always loose a lot - mostly when fighting with the noisy background.

Two examples:

M101

HaRGB image (after DBE, BackgroundNeutralization, ColorCorrection):

And after processing

M106

RGB image (again, after DBE, BackgroundNeutralization, ColorCorrection):

And after processing:

I am pretty happy with the background, the stars and the galaxy details itself. Just that I lost a lot of the faint outer details.

My process here is:
  1. TGVDenoise
  2. MaskedStretch
  3. Further stretch with HistogramTransformation
  4. ACDNR (I usually have some blobs left from TGVDenoise)
  5. HDRMultiscaleTransform (to bring out some of the inner details)
  6. CurvesTransformation

No comments:

Post a Comment